Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Filming: Day 1

What a day! I never thought I would spend 22 consecutive hours with make up on my face. But in order to get the shots we wanted, with the lighting we needed, that's what it took.

4:30 am: My alarm rang and I dragged myself out of bed to enjoy my first breakfast.

5:00 am: Toad and Galadriel knocked on my door about 30 minutes later. When Kelli agreed to the part of Galadriel, I don't think she anticipated being as tired as she was. But huge props to her for being such a good sport and looking absolutely gorgeous.

5:30 am: Olo showed up and we made our way to Michelle's for make up and costume finalization. Big shout outs to Michelle and Vanessa for their help. They were awesome, even if the eye liner did make me look girly.

6:30 am: We started our trek up Rock Canyon trail carrying tons of equipment. The hike seemed about twice as long with that big ladder in my hand.

7:15 am: The first shot went well. It was exciting to finally be rolling on this portion of The Road to the Shire. Look for the bridge shot in the trailer video.

8:00 am: Now, it was a race against the clock. We needed the morning shade for proper lighting but the sun was coming up in a hurry. Not to mention the heat. I have never had a worse wedgie. Stretchy pants are not my favorite.

9:00 am: We wanted a shot by the river, but the only way we could set it up properly was by crossing it. I don't care how warm it was getting, run-off water is COLD. By this point, we were all acting a bit strange. I wonder if the couple passing by that I spoke to with an accent really thought I was from Australia? Then again, I think they were distracted by the previously mentioned stretchy pants.

10:15 am: Again, mad props to Kelli... for her work as Galadriel and letting us keep her longer than planned. I don't think her Brigham City-bound caravan was happy with us.

6:00 pm: Let's fast forward through clean up, lunch, getting lost driving to Eden, UT, and Olo bailing hay like his life depended on it. The Storey family had planned a great meal for us upon arrival of 100% Storey angus beef hamburgers, strawberry salad, and corn on the cob. I had never chucked corn before, but got that opportunity. I was also later informed that it was called shucking. So technically I still have never chucked corn.

9:45 pm: Filming in Eden went great. Even though I did get six mosquito bites on my right wrist alone. We got the shots we needed and headed back to Provo. But I must mention Jon passing out in the front seat. His limp head was swinging around like a rag doll. It was actually quite creepy the few times a hard, right turn would leave his lifeless face pointing in my direction.

11:something pm: We picked up Critter, aka best wizard ever, and headed to the foothills behind Jon's house to film the fireside shots. I hope we didn't wake anyone up that lived close by. Then again, if we had, I am sure they would have reported the strange looking seance to the police.

2:00 am: Yeah. We are back to the a.m.'s. I dropped Critter off and made my way home. I have never been so happy that all my roommates were out of town. This could have been an embarrassing entrance. Is there some sort of process to removing make up? If so, I didn't know the procedure. Finally, I just climbed in the shower and melted it off with scolding water.

2:30 am: Bedtime. It felt so good to climb into that bed, 22 hours after I had climbed out of it. All in a day's work.

I Hope this trailer video gets the point across. We want so badly to be extras in the Hobbit and only with the help of our fellow Tolkien fans will we get there.

Thanks everybody,

No comments:

Post a Comment